February 17, 2021 | Sarah Ramberg
Let’s talk about materials. You will need the following:
- Picture frame. Choose a frame that is at least 11” x 14” or larger so there is plenty of room for cookies, milk, and letters to Santa. Make sure the frame is at least an inch thick (or more) as this is where you will secure your tray handles.
- 1 can of spray paint (we chose a textured, metallic silver)
- Printed fabric or wrapping paper large enough to cover the opening in matte or frame glass. (we chose a buffalo plaid bandana and Santa wrapping paper for the matte)
- 1 pair of cabinet handles/ hardware. They should be large enough to serve as tray handles and should not have screws attached.
- Pliers, screwdriver
- Measuring tape, pencil
- Gorilla Glue or hot glue, tape
- Scissors, exacto knife
- Cleaning supplies, drop cloth
- Safety mask, goggles, and gloves
Next, let’s talk about safety. When preparing to complete the DIY Santa Tray, be sure you are painting in a well-ventilated area! Remember, hot glue is extremely hot and should be used with caution to avoid burns. Use caution when cutting with an exacto knife – they are sharp! As always, wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty, because this or any DIY can be messy!