August 24, 2023 | Asia Bartholomew
Let’s talk about materials. You will need the following items in order to create the perfect standing shutter planter:
- 1 shutter. When choosing a size, be sure to consider the space where you will place the planter. Additionally, make sure it’s wood or a heavy vinyl as you will need to be able to drill into the shutter. We chose a wood shutter approximately 18”w x 60”h.
Pro-Tip: A white shutter will accentuate the colors of your flowers and plants!
- 2 pair of shelf brackets (we chose black metal, but you can use wood – heck you may even find some at the ReStore!)
- 1 can of spray sealant to match your shutter (we chose Plasti Dip, but Flex Seal products will work)
- Recycled moving blanket (we found on Amazon for about $7/blanket)
- 1 – 1” x 3” measuring 3 ft long, cut in half (these serve as braces for shelf brackets)
- 4 – 1.5” wood screws (to attach brackets)
- Plants, flowers, potting soil
Pro-Tip: Choose plants that are small, trailing, or succulent to fill out pockets.
- Manual staple gun with staples
- Drill with bits for Phillips screwdriver and pilot holes
- Measuring tape, pencil
- Project table or saw horses
- Cleaning supplies, drop cloth
- Safety mask, goggles, and gloves
Next, let’s talk about safety. When preparing to complete the DIY Standing Shutter Planter please follow all instructions on tools, wear proper safety equipment, and always paint in a well-ventilated area! As always, wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty, because this will be messy!