August 24, 2023 | Asia Bartholomew
Hey, there, it’s Sarah of Sadie Seasongoods again, with a new upcycling idea to share with you.
With Fall (and football season) upon us once again, I thought it’d be fun to create another team-themed project to celebrate the season! And to coordinate with my Tailgating Snack Basket, I decided to transform some plain bamboo coasters into a set of Game Day Coasters that were worthy of our beloved Carolina Panthers.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Wooden coasters from Habitat ReStore
- Paint in team colors (spray or traditional is fine)
- Team fabric from a craft store
- Scrap Paper and pencil
- Straight pins or fabric-safe masking tape
- Decoupage glue and brush
For any spray painting that you do, make sure it is done in a well-ventilated area, such as outdoors.
Here’s how I made these Game Day Coasters:
- Head to any of our Charlotte Region ReStores and look for a set of coasters that you can upcycle for Game Day. I found this set at the Cornelius store. (Insert 1)
- Alternatively, you could do this same project with a stack of small (4”) ceramic tiles from one of our stores, too!
- I painted each of the coasters in “Carolina Blue”- remember how I used that same paint color on my tailgating snack basket?
- Once the blue paint was totally dry, it was time to add the Panthers fabric to the coasters. I cut out circles of fabric that were slightly smaller than the coasters to decoupage over the blue paint.
- Just like this tray project from the ReStore blog, I first brushed on some decoupage glue over a coaster. Then, I carefully set a fabric circle over the glue, and smoothed it with my fingers. Finally, I brushed additional decoupage glue over the fabric, paying extra attention to the edges.
- Because my coaster set had a coaster holder, I opted to paint that a dark silver to stick with the Panthers colors.
- Decoupage glue can act as a top coat for anything, so I also brushed on a thin coat over the silver holder to protect the paint. And that was it- my Game Day coasters were all done!
Go Team and Happy Upcycling!
I just LOVE how these turned out- perfect for game days. Now I need to make similar sets for the Hornets and Charlotte FC! Think you’ll be upcycling some coasters from one of our ReStores now? Please tag us (@cltregionrestore and @sadieseasongoods) with the hashtag #ReStoreCoasters to show off your projects!